Our overall management objective is to maximize the value of each client portfolio through capital appreciation from optimal forest productivity and cash flows from timber harvests and other sources. Our experienced foresters, analysts and specialists combine financial management skills with the latest forest science and technology to achieve this objective.
Intensive and Hands-On
- We understand the biology and economics of growing trees, and our site-specific regimes maximize stand value.
- Through our knowledge of timber markets and customer relationships, we seek to capture maximum value from timber sales and strive to be a preferred supplier to our timber buying customers.
- Our internal expertise, combined with a large network of field service providers, maximizes market knowledge and value creation while effectively controlling client expenses. Our foresters spend many hours in the field reviewing properties and making management decisions with the support of field service providers.
- We retain management flexibility and continually reassess previous decisions as market conditions change.
- In addition to forestry expertise, our team has deep experience in alternative land use, entitlement, mitigation banking, conservation easements and other value-adding strategies.
Advanced Science and Technology
- We invest in cutting edge, intensive silviculture if projected investment return exceeds client hurdle rates; such investments compound overall investment performance.
- Sophisticated, computer-based growth-and-yield models are used to determine financial maturity of timber and to develop long-term harvest schedules and cash flow projections.
- We use technology and internal information systems to maximize the efficiency of budgeting, reporting and data collection functions and to minimize client expenses. A complete geographic information system (GIS) is the backbone of our timberland management system.
- We are active members of several research cooperatives (Forest Nutrition Cooperative, Plantation Management Research Cooperative, Forest Pest Management Cooperative) to keep abreast of the latest in forest science, research and management technology.
Alternative Value and Income
- Hunting, recreation, mitigation banking, conservation and other non-timber income sources provide significant opportunities for adding value, and we work to maximize these sources.
- Our business knowledge and expertise is not limited to forestry, and we proactively identify and implement alternative land uses, timberland sales and other value growth opportunities based on local market dynamics.
- Our Environmental Policy governs all timberland management activity and ensures that good stewardship is paramount.
- Client timberland is third-party certified to programs such as the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) standard on a targeted basis.
- As a member of the National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO), FIA fully subscribes to the NAFO member Commitment to Sustainable Forest Management.